Tuesday 27 September 2016

challange accepted

Today I was challenged by a friend to cook a bag of sainsburys basics mince and turn it into a nutritious flavourful meal to feed his brood of six without it looking like a pile of sawdust on a plate.

Using a few larder ingredients I put him to work as my sous chef. From my larder we grabbed the following.
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 stick celery
  • Garlic paste 
  • 12 mushrooms 
  • Small packet baby plum tomatoes.
Whilst I went to my herb garden to gather some fresh basil and parsley I put my friend to work dicing the onions celery and peppers. 


After chopping the vegetables and making me a coffee my friend asks what I'd be making for him, I replied I'm not you are I'm going to supervise.
We made spaghetti bolognaise.
Here's what we did.
  • In a large pan fry the onion, garlic paste, celery and carrot for about 5mins
  • Add in mince and brown braking up any large lumps
  • Add in peppers and the tomatoes stir all time to allow tomatoes to break up
  • Add in slice mushrooms 
  • Whilst I put the pasta on to boil I got him to add the basil I'd picked once he'd torn the leaves. we fed his brood plus myself and the guv'nor with enough left over to make a lasagne which will feed his brood another day.  All for the price of a bag of Sainsbury's Basic mince and a few store cupboard goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment